Sesame Garlic Broccoli Rabe Spring Rolls
This unique, healthy appetizer recipe includes a delectable sweet and spicy broccoli rabe filling. Whole grain noodles add a pleasing texture, while a creamy avocado sauce balances everything out. Enjoy these spring rolls at your next party, as a light lunch, snack, or as a side at dinner.
Bonus: This appetizer can be transformed into a meal by skipping the rice wrappers and tossing the broccoli rabe and noodles together with the sauce for a cold noodle salad.
Recipe by Allison Day
Allison is the writer behind Yummy Beet. She has two cookbooks available now: her first, Whole Bowls, and her second, Purely Pumpkin. The two books are dedicated to bowl-tastic meals and seasonal recipes, respectively. Allison took home the highest honor in Canadian food blog writing at the 2015 Taste Canada Food Writing Awards.
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 tsp salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 1” pieces
- 4 oz spelt spaghetti or buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 8-10 rice paper wrappers
- sesame seeds, to garnish
For the Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- 2 cups roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 small or 1 large avocado, flesh only
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp)
- water, to thin, as needed
1. In a large, high-sided skillet, heat sesame oil, honey, garlic, chili, and salt over medium until fragrant.
2. Add broccoli rabe, cover, and steam, tossing a few times, until tender (about 3–5 minutes). If pan is too dry, add a small splash of water. Cool to room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; salt well. Cook noodles according to pkg directions, drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Toss with tamari. Set aside.
4. Have all roll ingredients ready to go in front of you for easy building, and work on 1 roll at a time. Fill a large high-sided skillet with warm water. To rehydrate rice paper wrappers, soak one wrapper at a time until pliable (this only takes 15–30 seconds) in warm water.
5. Place rehydrated wrapper on a large cutting board or countertop. At the bottom of each roll, leaving a 1/2” gap to each side, line up a handful of broccoli rabe and cooked noodles.
6. Roll like a burrito, tucking in sides as you turn to encase ingredients.
7. If serving immediately, transfer to a serving platter. If serving in 1 to 2 hours (don’t make them any longer ahead than that or they’ll turn soggy), wrap roll in plastic and store in refrigerator. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
For the Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
1. Pulse cilantro, garlic, salt, and lime zest in a food processor until finely chopped.
2. Add avocado and lime juice. Puree until smooth. If a thinner sauce is desired, thin with water 1 Tbsp at a time. Transfer to a serving bowl.
1. Garnish rolls with a sprinkle of additional chili and sesame seeds. Serve chilled with sauce.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more