Glazed Chicken Burgers with Garlicky Broccoli Rabe and Lemon Mayo
Ground chicken is seasoned with flavorful spices and glazed with sweet chili sauce for a patty that’s sticky, spicy, and sweet all in one. It’s the perfect match for a generous scoop of garlicky broccoli rabe, and the fillings are right at home on a brioche bun that’s been slathered in lemon mayonnaise and toasted.
Recipe by Erin McDowell
Erin is an expert in food media: cooking, writing, and styling all things delicious. She is the recipe editor for PureWow, a test kitchen manager for Food52, and is currently writing a baking cookbook which will be published by Houghton Mifflin.
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 4 brioche buns, halved
Garlicky Broccoli Rabe:
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 heaping cups chopped Broccoli Rabe
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 heaping Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Make the burgers: in a medium sauté pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
3. Transfer the onion and garlic to a large bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the cilantro, 5 spice, cayenne, mustard, salt, pepper, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and egg. Mix well to combine.
4. Add the ground chicken and mix to combine. Add the breadcrumbs and mix just until fully incorporated. Divide the meat into 4 even pieces, and form into patties.
5. In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the patties to the pan and cook until evenly browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Glaze each side of each patty with 1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce, and transfer the pan to the oven. Continue to cook until the patties are fully heated through, 8-10 minutes more.
6. While the burgers cook, make the broccoli rabe: in a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and reduce heat to low. Cook for 1 minute, then add the broccoli rabe, and continue to cook until the rabe is tender, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
7. Make the mayonnaise: in a small bowl, stir the mayonnaise, lemon zest, and lemon juice together to combine. Spread 2 tsp on each side of each bun.
8. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place the buns, mayonnaise side down, into the pan and toast until evenly golden, 3-4 minutes.
9. To serve, scoop 1/4 of the broccoli rabe onto the bottom of each bun, and place a patty on top. Finish with the top toasted bun, and serve immediately.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more