Beef and Broccoli Rabe Quick-Fry
1. Put the meat in a bowl and massage it with the salt, sugar, pepper flakes, and half the cornflour. Add the soy sauce and half of the sherry and let it marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.
2. Whisk the stock into the remaining cornflour and sherry a little at a time until it is absorbed. Note that if the stock isn’t added gradually, you’ll wind up with a cement-like mixture instantly.
3. Blanch the broccoli rabe according to Basic Recipe for Blanching and Boiling Broccoli Rabe, 15 seconds. Drain and submerge immediately in ice water to prevent overcooking. Drain well again and pat dry or whirl in a salad spinner.
4. Warm three quarters of the oil over medium heat and add the garlic and ginger. Sauté until lightly colored to infuse flavors, 2 minutes; remove and set aside.
5. Raise the heat to high and add half the beef. Quick-fry until seared all over but still tender, stirring immediately and constantly to spread it out and keep the pieces separate, 1 minute.
6. Transfer the meat to a platter and add the remaining oil, reserved garlic and ginger to the pan. Fry the remaining meat in the same way. When cooked, return the reserved beef to the pan and stir in the remaining cornflour-sherry mixture and toss with all the meat.
7. Add the scallion and toss; then toss in the reserved broccoli rabe. Add the finishing liquid; toss to coat well. Serve at once.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more