Braised Broccoli Rabe Grilled Cheese
1. Sauté the garlic and chili flakes in the olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or dutch oven until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe and sauté until just starting to color, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Add 1/2 cup water to the pot, cover, and gently simmer for 1 hour. Give the broccoli rabe a stir a few times throughout the process. If the pan is dry add just a bit of water to keep the broccoli rabe from scorching.
2. After an hour the broccoli rabe will be very tender and slumped. Finish with just a squeeze of fresh lemon.
3. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
4. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add four slices of bread (or two at a time if that’s what fits in the pan) butter side down and top the bread with 1/4 of the broccoli rabe. On top of that add roughly 1/2 cup grated cheese. Top with another slice of bread, this time butter side up.
5. Grill until golden and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes per side. Give the sandwich a gentle press with a spatula to compress the sandwich so the broccoli rabe and cheese really meld together. Serve immediately.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more