Broccoli Rabe and Cheddar Mini Quiches
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
2. Add the butter to the flour and work the mixture between your fingers, breaking down the pieces of butter until the flour and butter is nice and crumbly. No large pieces of butter should remain.
3. Slowly drizzle in a tbsp at a time of ice cold water, stirring with a wooden spoon as you go. With one hand, gently knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together. Flatten into a disc and wrap with Saran wrap. Place into the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
5. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add the broccoli rabe and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli rabe and place onto a few paper towels. Once cool enough to touch, squeeze out the remaining water. Dice and set to the side.
6. In a small frying pan, fry the mushroom until soft. Set to the side.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yolk, milk, and salt. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a pourable measuring cup.
8. Remove the dough from the fridge. Sprinkle the counter and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough 1/4″ thick. Cut out circles using a 3” round cookie cutter or the bottom of a glass. Using a 24 serving mini muffin pan, press the dough rounds into the cups.
9. Add a few pieces of cheese to the tart shells. Then layer the mushrooms and broccoli rabe to 3/4 full. Pour the egg mixture into the shells just about to the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool. Pop out the mini quiches with a knife. Serve warm, or let cool completely and store in the fridge for a week or the freezer for 3 months. Reheat in the oven set at 350ºF for 10 minutes to warm.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more