Broccoli Rabe, Artichoke and Cheese Dip
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Prepare the broccoli rabe: Rinse the broccoli rabe, but don’t dry. Cut the broccoli rabe bunch 2-3” from the top, removing and discarding the stem ends. (You’re trying to get mostly the leaves and very little of the stem). Place broccoli rabe in a large pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until broccoli rabe is wilted. Place wilted broccoli rabe into a fine mesh strainer and press well to remove as much moisture as possible. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine the broccoli rabe, 1/2 of the artichoke hearts, the kidney beans, ricotta cheese, sour cream, Parmesan, 1/2 of the OKA cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and a bit of salt and pepper. Process until almost (but not completely) smooth.
4. Transfer to a bowl. Roughly chop the remaining artichoke hearts and stir in. Taste mixture and add additional salt and pepper as needed to heighten the flavours.
5. Spoon mixture into an 8 or 10” cast-iron skillet (or similar size oven-safe dish).
6. Top with remaining OKA cheese.
7. Bake in preheated 350°F oven until quite bubbly, about 35 minutes. If you’d like to brown up the top a bit, pop under the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking.
8. Serve warm with crostini or cut vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli or cauliflower.
Substitute widely available Emmenthal cheese for OKA cheese, if needed.
Be sure to drain your wilted broccoli rabe well. I like to press with a folded paper towel. You’ll avoid adding too much moisture to your mixture that way.
Be sure to add salt and pepper, as needed, to really bring all the flavours together.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more