Seared Sesame Broccoli Rabe Banh Mi Barley Bowls
Quick Pickled Radish & Carrots with Ginger
1. Pack radishes, carrots, and ginger into a large heatproof, sealable glass jar.
2. Add vinegar, agave, and salt to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and pour over vegetables.
3. Tightly seal, shake, and let sit for 30 minutes (2 hours plus is best). Refrigerate for up to 1 month (they just get better as they sit).
1. Add barley and water to a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover (partially cover for 5 minutes to avoid boiling over), and cook for 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain any excess water remaining.
Seared Sesame Broccoli Rabe
1. Heat a large high-sided skillet or wok over medium-high. Add untoasted sesame oil or coconut oil and broccoli rabe. Cook without stirring for 1 minute, cover, and steam for 3 to 5 minutes, tossing once or twice, until tender.
2. Stir in sesame seeds, toasted sesame oil, and tamari or soy sauce.
1. Add sections of barley, broccoli rabe, pickles, tofu, cucumber, cilantro, and Jalapeño.
2. Season with a spoonful or two of the pickle brine, tamari, and a squeeze of lime.
3. Serve with sriracha.
All bowl components are make-ahead and packable, so you can take it to work the next day for lunch as a sandwich.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more