Broccoli Rabe Meatloaf with Bacon
2. Prepare and cook the broccoli according to the recipe for Blanching or Boiling Broccoli Rabe, boiling it for 8 minutes. Drain well and squeeze with your hands to extract as much of the water as you can (yield, 1/2 pound); chop it coarsely.
3. In the meantime, warm the olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic over medium-low heat until they are translucent, about 10 minutes. Set it aside to cool.
4. Put the eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat lightly with the salt, pepper, and grated cheese. Add the meat, chopped greens, breadcrumbs, and sautéed onion and garlic. Use your hands to blend without overworking the mixture. Shape them into two ovals and fit them into a large baking dish or two smaller ones. Lay two strips of bacon over the top of each. Add 1/2 cup water into the baking pan around each loaf.
5. Bake loaves until cooked through and nicely colored on the surface, about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, checking it every 15 minutes. Add up to an additional 1/4 to 1/2-cup water as needed periodically to prevent the loaves from burning on the bottom.
6. Drain off the fatty drippings. Allow the loaves to settle for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve right away.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more