Broccoli Rabe Omelette with Bacon and Cheddar
1. Cook and drain the broccoli rabe according to the Basic Recipe for Blanching/Parboiling Broccoli Rabe. Drain well and pat dry or whirl in a salad spinner. You should have 2/3 cup, cooked.
2. Beat the eggs lightly with the cooked broccoli rabe, bacon, scallion, the sea salt, and pepper.
3. Make the first omelette. Have ready a small, heat-proof plastic spatula, and 2 warm dinner plates. Warm the pan over medium heat. Add half of the butter and the instant it melts, swirl it around the pan to coat the entire surface and sides. Working quickly, pour one of the divided beaten egg mixtures into the pan, tipping the pan back and forth to cover the surface with the egg, at the same time stirring with the spatula to distribute the filling evenly.
4. When the omelette is set and still moist but not runny, and lightly browned underneath, scatter half the Cheddar on top. Fold it in half. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and slide and nudge the omelette onto one of the plates. Keep it warm.
5. To make the second omelette, repeat the process, using up the remaining ingredients.
VARIATION: For a more Italian take, substitute 2 slices shredded prosciutto for the bacon and fontina for the Cheddar and toast with Prosecco. If Spanish is your style, replace the bacon with chopped chorizo and use a young Manchego as the cheese; serve with Sangria.
VEGETARIAN OPTION: Eliminate the bacon and add 1/3 cup cooked, diced Red Bliss potatoes to the egg mixture. For the Cheddar, substitute a firm smoked Gouda.
COOK’S TIP: Resist overfilling or the omelettes won’t fold.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more