Broccoli Rabe and Shiitake Penne Pasta
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. Boil the broccoli rabe for about one minute, until it becomes bright green and is slightly tender but still has some bite.
2. Scoop it out of the boiling water and into the ice water. Let cool for about one minute then drain, shaking out excess water. Set aside.
3. Cook the pasta according to pkg directions, until al dente.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until almost translucent, 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, mushrooms and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms cook down.
6. Add the Balsamic vinegar and stir, getting any bits of mushrooms that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan.
7. Add the almond milk and dijon mustard and stir to combine. Add the broccoli rabe and stir again.
8. Add a big squeeze of lemon, stir, then add the cooked penne pasta, red pepper flakes, and half of the parmesan cheese, if using. Stir to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings.
9. Top with the walnuts, remaining parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, if using, and serve.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more