Broccoli Rabe Ravioli with Broccoli Rabe Pesto
1. Remove the leaves from the broccoli rabe and set them aside.
2. Heat 2 Tbsp avocado oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add half of your broccoli rabe leaves. Season with a pinch of salt. Cook until wilted. Add to a food processor and process until smooth.
3. Attach the flat beater to your stand mixer. Mix your flour, 3 eggs, and cooked broccoli rabe leave puree in the mixing bowl on low speed. Once combined, remove the flat beater and attach the dough hook. Knead for 3-4 minutes on “stir” or speed 1 until the dough indents when you poke it. Cover the bowl and let the gluten strands relax for 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, add the other half of your broccoli rabe leaves, basil, pine nuts, and garlic to a food processor. With the motor running, slowly add your olive oil. Stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
5. Finely dice your broccoli rabe stems and florets. Heat 3 Tbsp avocado oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add your shallot, broccoli rabe stems, and florets. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
6. Mix your cooked broccoli rabe stems and florets with the ricotta cheese in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
7. When your pasta has rested for 30 minutes, take it out of the bowl and knead it on a floured surface, adding more flour if it’s sticking. Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Roll out each piece to the thinnest setting you feel comfortable with, and set on a floured surface so it doesn’t stick.
8. Bring a pot of water to boil. Beat your remaining egg with 1 Tbsp of water.
9. In the meantime, spoon 1 Tbsp of the broccoli rabe and ricotta mixture at a time onto two of the 4 sheets, leaving 1-2 inches between each ball of filling. Lightly brush the edges of the pasta sheet and between each dollop of filling with the egg wash.
10. Lay your other two sheets of pasta over the tops and gently press down to cover the filling, making sure to press between each dollop of filling.
11. Cut your ravioli squares with a ravioli stamp, pastry wheel, or knife. Make sure the edges are pressed and sealed.
12. Add your ravioli to the water. Cook 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and toss to coat in the pesto.
13. To serve, shave Parmesan over the pasta with a vegetable peeler. Enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more