Broccoli Rabe Tater Tots
1. Place the potatoes into a large pot filled with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, continue to cook the potatoes for 5 minutes. Remove from the water and place directly into an ice bath to cool.
2. In a large frying pan, bring 1/2 cup water, pinch of salt, and the broccoli rabe to a simmer. Cover, and simmer until broccoli rabe is tender. You may need to add a bit more water if it dissolves before the broccoli rabe is tender. Once the water has evaporated, remove the broccoli rabe from the pan and let cool. Once cool, chop finely.
3. Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, grate them with a cheese grater.
4. Place the potatoes, broccoli rabe, flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and egg into a large bowl and combine.
5. Place enough oil in the frying pan to cover the tater tots. Heat the oil on medium heat.
6. Shape the potato/broccoli rabe mixture with your hands into small tater tot cylindrical shapes. Lay them onto a baking sheet while the oil heats.
7. Once the oil is hot, place 10 tater tots into the pan at a time. Do not overcrowd. Fry for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pan and place onto a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Serve warm.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more