Broccoli Rabe and White Bean Patties
1. Bring a large stockpot full of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with cold water and ice. Once boiling, add in your broccoli rabe and blanch for 60 seconds. Use tongs to remove from boiling water and transfer to your ice bath.
2. Once cool, remove from ice bath and ring out excess water by either gently squeezing the broccoli rabe over your sink or wrapping in a paper towel and gently squeezing. Transfer to a food processor and add in the garlic, Parmesan cheese, thyme, almonds, dash of salt, and pepper and process for one minute or until everything is finely chopped. Remove half the pesto for a later use or to top on the patties at the end.
3. Next, add in the white beans and flour and continue to pulse. While the food processor is running, slowly add in the olive oil and process for another two minutes or until a thick batter has formed, stopping to scrape down the sides of the food processor when necessary. If the batter is too sticky to shape then add more flour as needed – you’ll want the batter thick and slightly sticky but firm enough to hold together.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust your hands with flour. Scoop out about ⅓ cup of the batter at a time with your hands, form into flattened circular patties, and place on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Transfer to the freezer and let chill for at least thirty minutes or up to an hour.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt and mustard until completely smooth and incorporated. Cover and transfer to fridge until ready to use.
6. Preheat oven to 400°F. Once the oven is ready, remove patties from freezer, brush olive oil over the top of the patties, and stick in the oven to bake for 35 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before topping with the creamy mustard. Enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more