Creamy Broccoli Rabe Soup with Quinoa
1. To crisp the quinoa, heat 3 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Once the skillet is hot, add the quinoa and a couple pinches of salt; cook until crisp and golden. You will hear the quinoa pop and see it brown a bit when it’s ready, about 8 to 10 minutes. (If you notice the quinoa sticking or burning in places, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil.) Remove from heat and place in a clean bowl; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a bowl, toss together broccoli rabe, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste until broccoli rabe is evenly coated. Turn broccoli rabe out onto prepared pan and cook for 15-20 minutes, until tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
3. While broccoli rabe is roasting, sauté the leeks. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat, when pot is hot add the coconut oil and leeks; stir and cook until soft and translucent in color, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and coriander seeds, and stir for 30-40 seconds, until fragrant. Add the sliced potatoes, broth, ¾ teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; bring soup to a boil, cover, and turn heat down to a simmer. Cook soup until potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with a sharp knife, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Add roasted broccoli rabe – reserving a few smaller pieces for serving – and yogurt; stir and simmer for another 2 minutes, turn heat off. Let soup cool for about 10 minutes before pureeing.
5. In batches, puree soup in a food processor or blender on high. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust if needed. Return the soup to the pot and bring to a boil. Serve soup and top with crispy quinoa, an extra dollop of yogurt, and extra pieces of roasted broccoli rabe.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more