Linguine with Broccoli Rabe and Shrimp
1. If using bunch broccoli rabe, trim off any discolored tips from the bottom of the stems. Sever the stems from the tops and cut them into 2-inch lengths while leaving the buds whole. Wash the greens in abundant cold water. Use pre-washed bag broccoli rabe as is.
2. In large stock pot, bring 6 quarts water a rolling boil. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 2½ minutes. Place a large mixing bowl next to the burner. Use the strainer to lift the greens out all at once and set the strainer over the bowl to drain. Set aside. Reserve the cooking water.
3. In the meantime, in a skillet large enough to accommodate the cooked greens and the pasta later, warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-low heat. Stir in half the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté gently until the garlic is colored but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add the drained greens to the skillet and push them around in the oil to coat evenly. Transfer them to a warm bowl and use a paper towel to wipe the skillet clean.
4. Warm the remaining oil with the remaining garlic over medium-low heat until it is golden but not brown. Add the shrimp to the pan and sauté until pink on both sides, about 6 minutes. Take care not to overcook them. Add the wine, tossing the shrimps in the liquid to enable them to absorb it evenly. Turn the heat to low and simmer for another minute to allow the alcohol to evaporate. Return the greens to the skillet and toss them together with the shrimp. Fish the garlic out or leave them in, as you prefer. Set the skillet aside.
5. Bring the reserved broccoli rabe cooking water back to a rapid boil. Stir in the linguine and cook precisely according to the package instructions for “al dente.” Drain and toss the pasta together with the broccoli rabe and shrimp. Taste for salt and serve while piping hot.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more