Creamy Mac and Cheese with Broccoli Rabe
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the broccoli rabe and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Remove the broccoli rabe from the water. Once cool enough to touch, chop into bite-sized pieces. Set to the side.
4. Fill the large pot with water and return to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
5. While you are waiting for the water to boil, add the butter to a medium saucepan on medium heat. Once sizzling, add the garlic and cook for one minute. Next, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon. Slowly drizzle in the milk and whisk until combined. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thick, approximately 10 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper. Once thick and creamy, stir in the grated cheddar cheese.
6. Add the pasta noodles to a 12 x 8″ rectangular baking dish, then add the broccoli rabe and combine. Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and stir. Finally, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
7. Place the dish in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more