Madras Curry Lamb Burger Gyro with Broccoli Rabe and Cactus Pear Yogurt
1. Preheat to 400F.
2. In a large bowl, mix your lamb, shallot, garlic, and ½ cup of the curry. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Cut your cactus pears in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside into a blender or food processor. Pulse until juices are released. Strain the contents into a bowl to remove the seeds. Mix in the yogurt and 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves. Set aside.
4. Add your broccoli rabe to a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with avocado oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. Split your lamb mixture into 4 parts. Form your patties in an oval such that they are the length of your pita breads.
6. Heat your cast iron over medium heat. Cook your patties 4 minutes on the first side, and an additional 2 minutes on the second side.
7. To assemble your burgers, gently heat your pita breads over an open flame, in a toaster, or in the cooling oven.
8. Spread a layer of the cactus pear yogurt on your pita, top with a piece of lettuce, slices of tomato, 2 stems of broccoli rabe, a burger patty, a few tablespoons of the Madras curry, cucumbers, radish slices, and cilantro. Wrap in parchment paper for less-messy eating!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more