Roasted Squash Salad with Broccoli Rabe and Kale
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the onion with 2 Tbsp of the vinegar and set aside. Stir frequently while making the rest of the salad to evenly quick pickle the onions.
3. Cut your squash in half and scoop out the seeds and soft flesh with a spoon. Discard or keep seeds for a later use. Cut the squash vertically into 1″ slices. In a medium bowl, toss with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (optional for easy clean up) and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, wash and prepare your broccoli rabe. Be sure the broccoli rabe is dry (pat with a paper towel if needed). Roughly chop the broccoli rabe. When the squash has been roasted for 15 minutes, flip the squash and top with the broccoli rabe. Roast for 15 minutes, or until squash is soft.
5. Meanwhile, make your dressing. Combine 2 Tbsp of the vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, lemon juice and 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake to emulsify. Or combine ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified.
6. Meanwhile, massage your chopped kale in a large serving bowl. Top with the hot squash and broccoli rabe and stir to let the kale wilt. Add the dried cranberries, pepitas, strained red onion, and dressing. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve warm and enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more