Cheddar Waffles with Garlicky Broccoli Rabe and Scrambled Eggs
For the waffles:
1. Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions.
2. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Whisk the wet ingredients together until combined and then fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the shredded cheddar cheese.
For the broccoli rabe:
1. Bring a large stockpot full of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with cold water and ice.
2. Once boiling, add in your broccoli rabe and blanch for sixty seconds. Use tongs to remove from boiling water and transfer to your ice bath.
3. Once cool, remove from ice bath and ring out excess water by either gently squeezing the broccoli rabe over your sink or wrapping in a paper towel and gently squeezing.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add in the garlic and sauté for thirty seconds or until fragrant.
5. Next, add in the broccoli rabe and sauté for four to five minutes or until the stems are tender.
6. Lastly, splash in the white wine vinegar to deglaze the pan and then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and set aside until ready to use.
For the scrambled eggs:
1. Beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium until melted and hot.
3. Pour in the egg mixture into the hot skillet and let set. Once the eggs have started to set on the bottom, use a spatula to gently scrape the eggs from the bottom of the pan and continue to scramble until all of the eggs have set.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Top the waffles with the sautéed broccoli rabe and eggs and enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more