Sweet Baby Broccoli Pho
- In a large pot over low heat, combine the star anise, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable stock, pinch of sugar, ginger, fennel, bay leaves, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and scallions. Simmer for 20 minutes, then strain everything out and return the liquid back to the pot. Keep hot until ready to serve.
- In the meantime, put the rice vermicelli in a large bowl and cover with the boiling water. Soak until the noodles are barely tender – start checking after 3 minutes. Drain the noodles, then rinse them with cold water to cool them down. Return the noodles to the bowl, add enough cold water to cover, and let sit until you’re ready to serve them.
- Add the sweet baby broccoli to the stock and cook until tender, 5-8 minutes.
- Divide the noodles between 4 bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls over the cooked rice noodles. Top with 2 sweet baby broccoli per bowl and carrots. Serve with the lime slices, radish sprouts, cilantro, basil, sriracha, chili peppers, more soy sauce, and soft-boiled eggs.
Notes: Freeze the broth after step 2. Keeps for up to 3 months.