THE JOB: Are you interested in working on cutting-edge agricultural equipment? Do you like to build? Do you want to learn something new every day? Does working with a fast-paced team sound fun? Do you want to help feed the world? Come work with the Mechanized Equipment Development Team at D’Arrigo Brothers of California to create automated harvest machinery for the harvest of fresh vegetables! This position will require working in the lab, shop, and field developing experimental equipment. This job will find a person brainstorming with our team in the office, fabricating their ideas in the lab, then taking the new idea out for field testing. There is definite room for growth and developing new skills. Beware! Do not apply for this job if you like staying clean or want the same exact routine every day.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience in the development and integration of agricultural equipment to commercialization
- Focus on the controls, actuation, drive systems, robotics, and their integration
- Field experience with PLC’s, Micro Controllers and laptop-based programming/diagnostics
- Capable of debugging software, creating HMIs, and work towards becoming a system architect
- Excellent communication skills: written, spoken, and graphic
- Ability to design and specify components for procurement
- Ability to create drawings and schematics document work, test results, and generate field reports Work within a diverse team, and often independently
- Experience in wiring and plumbing standard practices, layout, routing and design.
- Operation of standard office equipment, including PCs, printers, plotters and appropriate software such as Windows, Microsoft Office applications, Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc.
- Self-motivated, creative, and able to efficiently process data
- Able to handle and balance multiple tasks where priorities often change
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and handle pressure
- Experience with building, repairing or modifying mobile equipment or vehicles
- Four-year engineering degree OR Technology degree with 6+ years relevant experience
- Valid driver’s license and clean record
- Work schedule will include occasional long hours including weekends and some holidays
- Must be willing to spend extended periods (up to three weeks) in Yuma, AZ or Brawley, CA
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds out in the field, walk through a vegetable field on uneven surfaces, climb up and down noisy harvesting equipment, and use both hands to perform various tasks and be willing to do so in inclement weather conditions (including wind, dust, rain, heat, cold)
- Programming microcontrollers using languages such as C, C++, Python, Java Script, etc.
- Experience with SAE J1939 and ISO 11783 CAN bus
- Prior experience with agriculture, food equipment & hygienic manufacturing practice
- Modern fabrication experience/ machine assembly best-practices
Bilingual Spanish/English is a plus