Job Description: Food Safety Technician: Field
- Assist with the development, implementation and administration of the food safety programs to staff and harvesting crews in California and Arizona. The food safety programs include the FDA FSMA and FSVP programs, Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement, HACCP, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and Organic programs plus internal and external audit requirements.
- This non-exempt (hourly) position reports to the Food Safety Supervisor.
- This position requires seasonal relocation between Yuma, Arizona and Salinas, California with periodic travel into Mexico to our contracted grower/shipper operations.
- Conduct crew policies and procedure audits.
- Develop and maintain documentation for compliance to company and external food safety program requirements.
- Develop and instruct field personnel on Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs) and Standard Sanitation Operating Procedures (SSOPs) as required.
- Investigate, document and take appropriate action on discovered food safety issues.
- Provide assistance to crews and customers to meet food safety objectives.
- Conduct food safety reviews of ranch, field and cooler operations at our Mexico suppliers to ensure the D’Arrigo food safety and FDA FSVP programs are being met.
- Maintain paper and electronic documentation in an orderly fashion.
- Experience in Food Safety programs for row crops preferred.
- Ability to work independently.
- BA/BS in an agricultural field of study preferred.
- Basic understanding of chemistry and microbiology.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office programs.
- Bilingual (speaking, reading and writing) in English and Spanish required.
- Work schedule will include overtime and occasional weekends.
- Capable of lifting up to 50 pounds, walking agricultural fields, and climbing on and off of equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and clean record.
- Must have the ability to travel into and out of Mexico as required by the company.