DUTIES – Under minimum supervision from the Director, Seed Research and Development, this position will work in all areas where research is conducted including the laboratory, greenhouses, and field. The job will require some weekend work and long days during critical times of a project and to maintain greenhouse plant material. The Research Scientist must be able to physically work long hours in the field, lift up to 50lb, and operate machinery when required.
Day to day activities require the use of initiative and judgment and strong analytical skills. Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred.
The successful candidate will be involved in a broad range of activities centered on a successful specialty vegetable breeding program focused on broccoli rabe and fennel.
- Demonstrated laboratory experience.
- Ability to work effectively in lab, greenhouse, and field environments.
- Self-motivated and highly organized.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively work with teams and independently.
- English fluency.
- Perform plant extractions, chemical analysis, and data analysis on vegetable crops using HPLC and ChemStation.
- Acquire and analyze genomic data for IP protection and breeding projects.
- Acquire and implement technology & software to increase efficiency and effectiveness of research activities and data management.
- Perform research trials including design, implementation, data collection, data analysis, and reporting.
- This work will include keeping current with outside research relating to all D’Arrigo Research projects and bringing literature reports of this research into our program. This work may require attending occasional national and international meetings as determined by the Director.
- Assist in management of lab and greenhouse facilities
- S, MS, PhD will be considered. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes benefits.
- Experience/training in Analytical Chemistry.
- Experience/training in Genomics/Plant Genetics/Bioinformatics.
- Experience/training in Plant/Crop Science.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Strong computer literacy including a solid knowledge of Microsoft desktop products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively present facts and recommendations in oral and written form.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on proposals.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; to gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Correct English and, if bilingual, Spanish usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation and vocabulary required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground.
- Work schedule may include long hour and weekends when needed.
- Valid driver license and clean record required.
- Available for infrequent overnight travel to Brawley, CA and/or Yuma, AZ.
- Practices COVID safety procedures.
Submit the following to PersonnelRecruitment@darrigo.com:
- Cover letter
- Names of three references including addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- Applicant should document his/her accomplishments in any of the following:
- Chemistry/Analytical Chemistry
- Genetics, Genomics, & Plant Breeding
- Horticulture/Crop Science