DUTIES – Responsible for assisting the Safety Supervisor with ensuring compliance of all company-wide safety and risk management programs. Must be a knowledgeable and efficient hands-on safety resource to all operations company-wide, with the ability to identify safety issues and recommend a resolution to management in a timely manner. This position reports directly to the Safety Supervisor.
- Possess a strong foundation of knowledge in safety along with pertinent federal and state regulations/standards and required safety programs.
- Experience with incident investigations, OSHA inspections.
- Operation of standard office equipment, including personal computers, photocopier, fax machines and appropriate software such as Windows, Word and Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- Assist in maintaining and updating written safety programs for operations/facilities in all districts.
- Conduct documented safety inspections/audits of operations and facilities on a daily basis.
- Identify, analyze and control occupational hazards in all operations.
- Recommend new approaches and procedures to improve existing company safety programs.
- Conduct safety training meetings with employees, including members of management.
- Schedule medical examination appointments for all chemical applicators.
- Assist with coordination and execution of annual corporate office evacuation in conjunction with Post-Harvest.
- Order and distribute personal protective equipment. Ensure proper use.
- Coordinate the company safety incentive programs. Assist in distribution of safety incentives.
- Maintain all employee safety training records in compliance with the IIPP.
- Prepare and present required and special reports as needed.
- Assist with audits/investigations by governmental agencies including OSHA.
- Assist in responses to inquiries by governmental agencies by gathering information needed.
- Establish and maintain a good rapport with management and all work associates.
- Inspire a safety culture that creates a safe work environment throughout the organization.
- BA/BS in Public Health – Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety or related field.
- Proven experience in safety – preferably in an agricultural environment (cooler and field operations), or a related industry.
- Possess knowledge of employee rights and employer responsibilities, pertaining to safety, arising under federal and state laws, including OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively present facts and recommendations in oral and written form.
- Ability to keep skill set current.
- Organized team player who works well with a variety of people with a minimum of supervision.
- Thrive in a fast paced environment and handle pressure while managing multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of Microsoft desktop products including strong knowledge and experience with Excel and Word.
- Valid driver license and clean record.
- Regular and consistent attendance mandatory.
- Work schedule may include OT and weekends.
- The position is based in Salinas with seasonal relocation to Yuma, Arizona from November through March, or optionally, seasonal travel to Yuma, AZ and Brawley, CA for approximately one week per month November through March.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for several hours at a time.
- Must be able to walk on uneven ground.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Must be able to work outdoors (rain or shine) in warm and cold temperatures.
- Practices COVID safety procedures