Cauliflower Sausage Rye Casserole
We think this is a guy’s kinda dish after they’ve gotten done with raking leaves or playing some touch football on an autumn’s day.
1 C beer
3 C rye bread cubed
1 head Andy Boy cauliflower, cut in florets
2 T butter
1 t caraway seeds
3 C sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 lb kielbasa sausage, sliced
1 t dry mustard
1/2 t ground coriander seed
1 t fresh ground pepper
- At least an hour before cooking, pour the beer in a shallow bowl to sit until it becomes flat.
- Dry the bread cubes on a baking sheet in a 300 degree oven until they are crisp but not browned, probably about 15-20 minutes.
- Saute the cauliflower in the butter with the caraway seeds until just barely tender.
- Heat kielbasa in pan, until thoroughly warmed. Drain excess fat.
- Combine the kielbasa, bread cubes and cauliflower and half of the cheese. Spread the mixture into a buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
- Mix the eggs, mustard, coriander and black pepper in a blender or by hand with the flat beer and pour the mustard mix over the bread and cauliflower. Cover with the rest of the cheese and bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes until puffed and golden.