Emerald Broccoli Soup
Spinach and lemon co-star in this delicious soup. The beautiful hue makes this a stellar starter for a casual dinner at home or for a party.
1 1/2 pounds Andy Boy broccoli
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T unsalted butter
1 T minced garlic
1 C diced onion
1/2 C diced celery
Gray salt and freshly ground pepper
2 t finely chopped fresh thyme
5 C chicken stock
2 C packed spinach
2 t freshly grated lemon zest
1 C heavy cream or buttermilk
1/2 C finely chopped Italian parsley
- Cut the florets from the stems of the Andy Boy broccoli. Peel the tough outer skin from the stems and trim off fibrous ends. Cut the stems lengthwise into slices about 1/2 inch thick and then crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a soup pot over medium high heat until hot. Add garlic and cook until light brown. Add onion and celery, lower heat to medium and season with salt. Cook vegetables slowly until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and stir. Add the broccoli stems, stock, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the florets and continue to cook until very tender, about 7 minutes more. Stir in the spinach and lemon zest. The spinach will wilt into the soup.
- Puree the soup in a blender in small batches. Return the soup to the pan and reheat over gentle heat. Stir in the cream. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with a mix of lemon zest and Italian parsley teaspoonful on top of each bowl.