Broccoli Rabe and Pumpkin Aglio e Olio Gnocchi
A Fall-inspired aglio e olio recipe with gnocchi, broccoli rabe, and pumpkin. Elegant comfort food at it’s finest, with an easy garlic sauce made with ingredients you already have in your pantry.
Recipe by Candice Walker
Focusing on self-care & accessible healthy recipes, Proportional Plate is where Candice Walker shares tips, meal plans, & recipes to inspire small changes in your life that make big impacts. Candice teaches how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life.
- 1 sugar pie pumpkin
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, or rapini, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. gnocchi
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp good olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
1. Preheat to 350F.
2. Cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes.
3. In the meantime, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a saute pan or shallow pot large enough to hold the cooked pasta and veggies over medium heat. Add the broccoli rabe, season with salt, and cook the broccoli rabe for 6-8 minutes until bright and tender. Remove and set aside.
4. Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook according to the directions on the package. Save 1 ½ cups of pasta water before draining.
5. Heat ⅓ cup of olive oil over medium heat in a large pot big enough to hold the cooked pasta and veggies. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Do not let the garlic burn or brown, but golden is OK. Add the red pepper flakes and turn the heat down to low.6. Carefully add the 1 ½ cups of reserved pasta water to the olive oil. Season with 1 tsp of salt and simmer for 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by ⅓.
7. In the meantime, the pumpkin should be ready. Remove from the oven, peel, and cube.
8. Add the strained gnocchi to the olive oil sauce. Turn off the heat. Add the parmesan, parsley, and broccoli rabe. Mix well.
9. Add the roasted pumpkin. Gently toss to mix. Serve immediately.