Shaved Carrot, Fennel, and Tangerine Salad
The secret to the delicate flavors in this salad is using a mandoline to shave off the thinnest slices of fennel and carrot.
1/2 lb. bunch carrots with top attached
2 Andy Boy fennel
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T Champagne vinegar
1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 C tangerine sections
2 C watercress sprigs, thick stems removed
Sea salt, preferably gray salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the carrot tops and peel the carrots. Cut them into 3-inch lengths, then use a manual vegetable slicer to shave them lengthwise into ribbons.
- Cut off the stalks and fronds from the fennel, then halve them. Shave the fennel lengthwise like the carrots.
- Place fennel in microwave with 3T water and cook on high for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Put the carrots and fennel in a bowl and toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, and 1-tablespoon vinegar. Let stand for 20 minutes to soften.
- Add the red onion, tangerine sections, and watercress. Season with salt and pepper, toss well, taste, and add more vinegar if needed. Serve immediately.