Lemon & Herb Fusilli with Broccoli Rabe, Fennel, & Sausage
This lemon & herb fusilli with broccoli rabe, fennel, & sausage is easy enough for a weeknight dinner…A refreshing lemon & herb pasta that is tangy, creamy, and packed with nutrients!
Recipe by Candice Walker
Focusing on self-care & healthy recipes, Proportional Plate is where Candice Walker shares tips, meal plans, & recipes to inspire small changes in your life that make big impacts. Candice teaches how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
- 1 lb. fusilli
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup Parmesan + shavings
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 bunch of broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 1 fennel, cut into 8ths & roasted
- 4 sausages
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400F and bring a pot of water to boil for your pasta.
2. In a medium bowl, add your olive oil, ⅔ cup grated parmesan, lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, basil, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix well. Add more salt & pepper to taste.
3. Cook your sausage per the package.
4. Add the broccoli rabe and fennel to a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with avocado oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 12 minutes. Remove the broccoli rabe from the baking sheet. Set aside. Cook your fennel an additional 10 minutes.
5. Add your fusilli to the boiling water and cook according to the directions on the package.
6. In the meantime, slice your sausages in ¼ inch thick slices, and chop your broccoli rabe in 3-inch chunks.
7. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Drain your pasta when cooked.
8. Add the lemon mixture to your pasta. Toss to coat. Add ¼ cup of water at a time to moisten. Toss in your broccoli rabe, fennel, & sausage.
9. To serve, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and add parmesan shavings.