Broccoli Rabe and Cheddar Mini Quiches
These mini quiches are simply adorable. They are the perfect finger foods for any occasion. They can be plated and served as an appetizer for a party, holiday, get-together, or an after school snack. They can be made ahead of time and reheated a few minutes before serving, which makes them a very convenient and low-maintenance option when you are in a rush.
Recipe by Heather Hands
Heather is the author of Flourishing Foodie, a mostly vegetarian food blog. The blog was nominated for Saveur awards in 2014 and 2015 and named as a “Site We Love” in 2013. She is a registered dietitian who practices what she preaches, cooking fresh ingredients in their most natural form. Her work has been featured on Williams Sonoma, Glamour, and a number of other media outlets.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp cold ice water
- 3 cups broccoli rabe
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup skim, 1%, 2%, or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup aged cheddar, grated
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
2. Add the butter to the flour and work the mixture between your fingers, breaking down the pieces of butter until the flour and butter is nice and crumbly. No large pieces of butter should remain.
3. Slowly drizzle in a tbsp at a time of ice cold water, stirring with a wooden spoon as you go. With one hand, gently knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together. Flatten into a disc and wrap with Saran wrap. Place into the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
5. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add the broccoli rabe and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli rabe and place onto a few paper towels. Once cool enough to touch, squeeze out the remaining water. Dice and set to the side.
6. In a small frying pan, fry the mushroom until soft. Set to the side.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yolk, milk, and salt. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a pourable measuring cup.
8. Remove the dough from the fridge. Sprinkle the counter and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough 1/4″ thick. Cut out circles using a 3” round cookie cutter or the bottom of a glass. Using a 24 serving mini muffin pan, press the dough rounds into the cups.
9. Add a few pieces of cheese to the tart shells. Then layer the mushrooms and broccoli rabe to 3/4 full. Pour the egg mixture into the shells just about to the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool. Pop out the mini quiches with a knife. Serve warm, or let cool completely and store in the fridge for a week or the freezer for 3 months. Reheat in the oven set at 350ºF for 10 minutes to warm.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more