Broccoli Rabe and Farro Stuffed Mushrooms
There’s something that feels right about an appetizer that stuffs veggies into more veggies, and these stuffed mushrooms are just that. Broccoli Rabe, tomato, and parsley, among other ingredients, form a dynamite filling inside baked white mushroom caps. Perfect finger food to serve at a party, these bites taste just as good as they look!
Recipe by Keri Glassman
Keri, in her own words, was born to be a nutritionist. The author of four books, Keri has been advancing the “whole person” approach to wellness for over a decade, through numerous media appearances as well as through her Nutritious Life platform, which includes an app, magazine, and online blog.
- 12 large white mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and saved
- 1/2 cup broccoli rabe
- 1 Tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, minced
- 1/2 cup farro, cooked and cooled
- 2 Tbsp flat leafed parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, split
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the mushroom caps open side up on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes.
2. Mince the mushroom stems, set to side.
3. Trim lower stems off of broccoli rabe, finely chop the leafy greens, set to side.
4. After mushroom caps have been cooked, pour off any liquid that has accumulated in caps.
5. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat.
6. Add onion and garlic to skillet and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add mushroom stems and broccoli rabe and saute until the greens are wilted, about 4 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes and farro. Cook for 2 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat, mix in parsley, salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast. Stir until well incorporated.
9. Preheat the broiler. Divide the broccoli rabe mixture evenly among the mushroom caps. Sprinkle each with remaining nutritional yeast. Cook until lightly golden, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more