Broccoli Rabe Pesto Hummus Dip
A perfect after-school, or after-work, snack to whip up or keep on hand, this hummus with broccoli rabe pesto makes for a deliciously healthy alternative to some of the more indulgent snack time options. Perfect with pita chips or crudite, this homemade dip will save you a trip to the supermarket, and unlike the store-bought varieties, you can always make more!
Recipe by Keri Glassman
Keri, in her own words, was born to be a nutritionist. The author of four books, Keri has been advancing the “whole person” approach to wellness for over a decade, through numerous media appearances as well as through her Nutritious Life platform, which includes an app, magazine, and online blog.
- 1/2 bunch broccoli rabe
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/3 cup plus 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 4 Tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed (15 oz) or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Using a knife, trim stems off of broccoli rabe, leaving the leafy greens.
2. Add trimmed Broccoli Rabe to a large pot of boiling water, cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Transfer broccoli rabe to an ice-water bath until cool, and drain.
4. Add broccoli rabe, half of the toasted pine nuts, half of the minced garlic, and parmesan into a food processor and process until coarsely chopped.
5. Continue to process while drizzling in 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Process until smooth.
5. Add dash of salt and optional red pepper flakes.
6. Pour pesto into a bowl and mix in remaining pine nuts, set aside.
7. In a clean food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice and process until well combined, making sure to scrape the sides.
8. Add 3 Tbsp olive oil, remaining minced garlic, cumin, and dash of salt. Process to combine, about 2 minutes. Scrape bottom and sides and process for an additional 30 seconds.
9. Add half of the chickpeas and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom with spatula, add remaining chickpeas, and process until thick and smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
10. To obtain the desired consistency, while food processor is running, add 1-2 Tbsp water as needed.
11. Spoon hummus into medium sized bowl.
12. Top hummus with reserved pesto, mix if desired, and serve!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more