Broccoli Rabe Tater Tots
Say goodbye to that bag of frozen tater tots at the back of your freezer, and hello to this classy adult-version. It may take a little more elbow grease to make these tots from scratch, but once you pop one of these salty crispy homemade bites of potato with bits of broccoli rabe into your mouth, you will be thankful that you took the time to make them from scratch. These broccoli rabe tater tots are the perfect appetizer for a party or gathering, or as a weekend snack. Served with some tangy barbecue sauce or ketchup, kids will love them just as much as the adults, and bonus, they come packed with healthy nutritious broccoli rabe.
Recipe by Heather Hands
Heather is the author of Flourishing Foodie, a mostly vegetarian food blog. The blog was nominated for Saveur awards in 2014 and 2015 and named as a “Site We Love” in 2013. She is a registered dietitian who practices what she preaches, cooking fresh ingredients in their most natural form. Her work has been featured on Williams Sonoma, Glamour, and a number of other media outlets.
- 1 lb (2 large) Russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch salt
- ½ lb broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil for frying
1. Place the potatoes into a large pot filled with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, continue to cook the potatoes for 5 minutes. Remove from the water and place directly into an ice bath to cool.
2. In a large frying pan, bring 1/2 cup water, pinch of salt, and the broccoli rabe to a simmer. Cover, and simmer until broccoli rabe is tender. You may need to add a bit more water if it dissolves before the broccoli rabe is tender. Once the water has evaporated, remove the broccoli rabe from the pan and let cool. Once cool, chop finely.
3. Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, grate them with a cheese grater.
4. Place the potatoes, broccoli rabe, flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and egg into a large bowl and combine.
5. Place enough oil in the frying pan to cover the tater tots. Heat the oil on medium heat.
6. Shape the potato/broccoli rabe mixture with your hands into small tater tot cylindrical shapes. Lay them onto a baking sheet while the oil heats.
7. Once the oil is hot, place 10 tater tots into the pan at a time. Do not overcrowd. Fry for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pan and place onto a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Serve warm.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more