Garlic Roasted Broccoli Rabe with Turkey Bacon, Fennel, and Blood Orange
Jump right into spring with this garlic roasted broccoli rabe with turkey bacon, fennel, & blood orange. If this dish doesn’t give you an extra spring in your step this season, I don’t know what will. It’s packed with flavor, vitamins, & nutrients…enjoy!
Recipe by Candice Walker
Focusing on self-care & accessible healthy recipes, Proportional Plate is where Candice Walker shares tips, meal plans, & recipes to inspire small changes in your life that make big impacts. Candice teaches how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
- 1 bunch Andy Boy broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and cut in half
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 blood oranges
- ½ bulb Andy Boy fennel
- 4 strips of Wellshire Turkey Bacon
- Optional: edible flowers for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 425F.
2. Cook your bacon per the package. Set aside to cool.
3. Add your broccoli rabe to a sheet pan. Drizzle with the avocado oil, season with salt and pepper, and cook 10 minutes until tender and the leaves just begin to brown.
4. Zest one of your oranges. Cut the zested orange in half. Juice half of your orange into a large bowl. Thinly slice the other half & remove the rind. Thinly slice your other orange and remove the rind. Place your sliced orange wedges in the medium bowl with the juiced orange.
5. Remove the fennel fronds from the fennel bulb, and chop up the fronds. Thinly slice ½ of the fennel bulb on a mandolin. Add both the fronds and the thinly sliced fennel to your bowl with the orange segments.
6. Add your cooked broccoli rabe to the fennel & orange mixture. Toss well to coat.
7. Transfer to your serving dish. Crumble the bacon over the broccoli rabe.
8. Optional: garnish with edible flowers.