Spiralized Fennel and Broccoli Rabe Gratin
This spiralized fennel and broccoli rabe ooey, gooey, cheesy gratin is filled with nutrients from some delicious veggies. And to top it all off, it has a crispy golden crust sure to please any crowd!
Recipe by Candice Walker
Candice Walker is the voice behind Proportional Plate, a food blog where weekly meal planning couldn’t be any simpler. She teaches how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
- 2 Andy Boy fennel bulbs, spiralized
- 1 bunch Andy Boy broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves, plus more for serving
- 3 cups Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
1. Preheat to 385°F.
2. Prepare the broccoli rabe by shaving the stems with a vegetable peeler, pulling off the large leaves, and snapping off each floret.
3. To spiralize fennel, trim the base leaving the core intact or you will not be able to run in through the spiralizer. Spiralize fennel bulb with shredder blade into thin strips, and add to bowl with broccoli rabe. Add to your bowl with the broccoli rabe.
4. Add the fennel, broccoli rabe, garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, olive oil, and thyme to a large bowl. Toss to coat. Add 1 cup of the Gruyère cheese. Mix well.
5. Add the mixture to your baking dish. Press down on the mixture to create more room. This mixture will cook down by about half in the oven.
6. Top with the rest of the Gruyère and the 1 cup of Parmesan.
7. Bake 30 minutes until the cheese just barely starts to brown.
8. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving…enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more