D’Arrigo Bros. Co., of California, a 100-year old, rapidly growing Salinas based agricultural company, is looking for a Human Resources professional to join an enthusiastic team. We are one of the largest vegetable grower, packer and shippers, and we offer opportunities with excellent benefits and compensation. Since we are a technologically aggressive organization, a strong knowledge of Excel, Word and Windows is required.
Andy Boy has a rich history as an industry trend-setter, not a follower. From the day the company was founded by Stephen and Andrew D’Arrigo, two immigrants from Messina, Sicily, innovation has been its hallmark. With third generation D’Arrigo family members at the helm of our West Coast operations, you can be sure that the traditions of being the very best in the business emanate from the top and are carried out by our dedicated family of almost 2000 employees. Would you like to join this team?
DUTIES – Under minimum supervision from the Vice President, Human Resources, performs varied human resources, project management functions, and limited confidential payroll. Supervise and direct daily operations within the clerical human resources functions while ensuring consistent and accurate processing of bi-weekly payroll data. Day to day activities require the use of initiative and judgment, particularly when prioritizing work or working with multiple managers. Strong analytical skills required. Bi-lingual English/Spanish required.
- All pertinent federal and state (California and Arizona) regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Workers Compensation, Medicare, Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Arizona, California, and federal labor and employment laws affecting agriculture.
- Manage leave of absences for employees and apply appropriate company, federal, and state requirements.
- Sound techniques in all aspects of personnel management.
- An understanding of contract language including collective bargaining agreements and benefits.
- Manage employee compensation.
- General personnel regulations and procedures.
- Basic general accounting basics.
- Good business practices.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- Microsoft Dynamics GP knowledge a plus.
- Operation of standard office equipment, including personal computers, photocopier, fax machines and appropriate software such as Windows, Word and Excel.
- Work closely and communicate well with the Employee Relations Director and the Safety/Workers’ Comp/Training Manager.
- Supervise clerical staff performing general human resource functions.
- Review the progress of work in the HR generalist functions. Ensure that staff questions have been answered, decisions have been acted upon and problems have been resolved. Ensure proper distribution of assignments and responsibilities.
- Support strategic operational hiring decisions, recruitments, and terminations to ensure effectiveness throughout all G&A operations.
- Review, maintain, and if needed create job descriptions throughout the G&A departments.
- Maintenance and data entry of all HR setup tables in Great Plains.
- Develop and maintain documentation to ensure ongoing knowledge and transfer of knowledge of all business critical operations applications and processes.
- Develop long-term plans and programs for the department and individuals; evaluate work accomplishments.
- Develop and/or update forms to maintain compliance with labor laws (FMLA, applications, evaluation forms, pre-op inspections, etc.).
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed. Evaluate and revise internal processes and policies to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Include staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; develop subordinates’ skills and encourage growth.
- Provide customer service support to external customers and internal customers including foremen and supervisors.
- Fulfill management’s requests for G&A payroll reports or information as requested.
- Function as the Human Resources Department liaison for annual accounting audit for G&A and confidential information.
- Responsible for all confidential payroll and accounting functions in the including payroll tax compliance and filing requirements, bank reconciliation and general ledger.
- Process biweekly G&A payroll, including mileage, per diems, bonus and in lieu of checks.
- Review and manage G&A time and attendance.
- Update company photo directory.
- Prepare the annual EEO-1 report and California Pay Data reports.
- Available for occasional travel to Brawley, California and Yuma, Arizona.
- BA/BS in Business, Human Resource Management or Accounting, and a minimum of 5 years human resources experience.
- PHR/SPHR and/or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certified, or willing to earn certification.
- Excellent customer service skills on the phone and in person.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Strong computer literacy including a solid knowledge of Microsoft desktop products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively present facts and recommendations in oral and written form.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on proposals.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; to gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Correct English and Spanish usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation and vocabulary required.
- Typing skills.
- Ability to keep skill set current.
- Organized team player who works well with a variety of people with a minimum of supervision.
- Thrive in a fast paced environment and handle pressure while managing multiple tasks.
- Regular and consistent attendance mandatory.
- Work schedule may include OT and weekends.
- Valid driver license and clean record.
- Available for infrequent overnight travel to Brawley, CA and/or Yuma, AZ.
- Practices COVID safety procedures.
Please send your resume to PersonnelRecruitment@darrigo.com