Duties– This position will assist with the development, implementation and administration of the food safety programs to staff and harvesting crews in California and Arizona. The food safety programs include the FDA FSMA and FSVP programs, Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement, HACCP, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) programs plus internal and external audit requirements. This position reports the Food Safety Supervisor. This position requires seasonal relocation between Salinas, California (approximately March – October) and Yuma, Arizona (approximately October – March).
- Conduct crew policies and procedure audits.
- Develop and maintain documentation for compliance to company and external food safety program requirements.
- Develop and instruct field personnel on Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs) and Standard Sanitation Operating Procedures (SSOPs) as required.
- Investigate, document and take appropriate action on discovered food safety issues.
- Provide assistance to crews and customers to meet food safety objectives.
- Must be able to maintain paper and electronic documentation in an orderly fashion.
- Visiting harvesting crews at ranches throughout Brawley, California, Yuma, Arizona, San Luis, Arizona, San Luis Rio Colorado Sonora, Mexico, Salinas, California and the surrounding areas.
- Conduct Ranch Assessments in all mentioned areas.
- Train production, harvest and sanitation personnel on food safety program requirements.
- Coordinate and maintain irrigation water treatment program.
- Conduct raw product and water sampling as needed.
Qualifications and knowledge
- Available for seasonal relocation to Yuma, Arizona for the winter season.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Self-motivated, self-starter with a good sense of direction.
- Organized team player who works well with a variety of people.
- Thrive in a fast paced environment and handle pressure while managing multiple tasks.
- Have an educational background in an agricultural field of study: preferably an Associate Degree or equivalent experience.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office programs.
- Bilingual (speaking, reading and writing) in English and Spanish.
- Work schedule may include occasional after hours and weekends.
- Regular and consistence attendance mandatory.
- Capable of lifting up to 50 pound, walking agricultural fields and climbing on and off of equipment.
- Ability to work in heat, wind and dust.
- Valid driver’s license and clean record.