Bacon Wrapped Parmesan Broccoli Rabe
One of my favorite ways to prepare broccoli rabe is simply roasted in the oven with salt, pepper, olive oil and a little parmesan cheese. It is healthy and delish! When I am entertaining or just feeling a little fancy, I love taking my roasted broccoli rabe to a whole new level and wrapping it in bacon! This recipe is a great a side dish or as a yummy appetizer paired with my roasted garlic dip!
Recipe by Tieghan Gerard
Tieghan is the author of Half Baked Harvest, and the winner of the 2014 and 2016 Better Homes & Gardens Reader’s Choice Award for Favorite Food Blog. It was also the recipient of Saveur Magazine’s 2016 Award for Most Inspired Weeknight Dinners as well as the 2016 Bloglovin’ Best Food Blog Award. Her first book, The Half Baked Harvest Cookbook, published by Clarkson Potter, launched September 12, 2017. Tieghan is also a regular contributor at the Huffington Post and Buzzfeed.
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan
- 12 pieces thin cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, chopped
- fresh herbs + cherry tomatoes, for serving (optional)
Basil Roasted Garlic Dip
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooking rack over the foil.
2. Place the broccoli rabe in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
3. Divide the broccoli rabe into 12 bunches (about 3 stalks per bunch). Wrap 1 piece of bacon around the stalk of each bunch. Secure the bacon wrapped broccoli rabe with a toothpick. Place the broccoli rabe onto the rack on top of the prepared baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle the parmesan over the bunch of bacon wrapped broccoli rabe. Drizzle the honey over each piece of bacon. Place the pan in the oven and roast until the broccoli rabe is roasted + crisp and the bacon looks fully cooked, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the toothpicks.
5. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan, chopped toasted pine nuts and cherry tomatoes if desired. Serve with the Basil Roasted Garlic Dip (recipe below).
Basil Roasted Garlic Dip
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until the cloves are golden with some black spots, about 9 minutes.
2. Transfer to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth; season with salt and pepper.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more