Garlic Sesame Broccoli Rabe with Panko Crusted Chicken
This dish combines garlicky sautéed broccoli rabe and crunchy oven fried chicken under a delicious blanket of sesame and soy sauce. Tahini adds a wonderful creaminess to the dressing, while a mustard marinade and a bit of crushed red pepper add a perfect amount of zing. Serve this dish for a healthy and satisfying supper, but save some for leftovers because this dish is also fantastic as a chilled salad.
Recipe by Molly Yeh
Molly is the author of My Name is Yeh, the 2015 Saveur Food Blog Of The Year. A Julliard-trained percussionist, Molly plies her craft from a farm located on the Minnesota-North Dakota border. Her first cookbook, Molly on the Range, published by Rodale Books, is available now.
- 2 Large eggs
- ¼ Cup honey mustard
- ¾ Tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ Cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ Cup toasted sesame seeds
- 10 Oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- Salt, to taste
- 10 Oz. broccoli rabe, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. flavorless oil, like canola
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set it aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey mustard, and ½ teaspoon of salt and submerge the chicken. Cover and let marinate for 5 minutes at room temperature.
3. In a separate dish, mix together the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, the bread crumbs, and the toasted sesame seeds. When the chicken is done marinating, using tongs, work a few strips at a time to transfer it to the bread crumb mixture. Coat all sides of the chicken in the bread crumbs, and then transfer it to the baking sheet.
4. Lightly spray the tops of the chicken strips with cooking spray and then bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through.
5. Let cool slightly and then chop into 1-inch pieces.
For the broccoli rabe:
1. While the chicken is baking, prepare the broccoli rabe. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the broccoli rabe. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then drain, rinsing under cold water to stop the cooking process. Pat the broccoli rabe dry.
2. Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, and then add the broccoli rabe with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for 5 more minutes. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
For the assembly:
1. Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
2. Place the broccoli rabe and chicken in a large bowl and drizzle on the dressing. Toss to coat. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more