Garlicky Sautéed Broccoli Rabe and Kale
With all the comfort foods of fall and winter, sometimes you just need some healthy, sautéed vegetables on the side. This garlicky sautéed broccoli rabe and kale is my version of the classic Italian side dish. Simple, yet very bold and flavorful, and the perfect side dish for your holiday table or your weeknight family dinner.
Recipe by Trish Bozeman
Trish Bozeman is the blogger, photographer, and recipe developer behind Rhubarbarians, a vegetarian food blog focusing on seasonal recipes. She creates approachable, yet delicious recipes that focus on using in-season produce for the entire family.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp minced shallot
- 3-5 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½ bunch Andy Boy broccoli rabe, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 3 packed cups stemmed and chopped lacinato kale leaves
- ¼ of a fresh lemon
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat to medium high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the garlic cloves and sauté, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
2. Add the broccoli rabe and sauté, stirring often, 5 minutes, or until the rabe has softened a bit. Add the kale to the pan along with the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil. The pan will be very crowded, but will cook down. Sauté, stirring often until the greens have completely wilted and softened to your liking, 5-10 minutes.
3. Squeeze the lemon juice onto the greens and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more