Red Leaf and Cactus Pear Autumn Salad
Cactus pears add a vibrant sweet flavor and color to this stunning salad.
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 cactus pear
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, shredded
- 4 fresh figs, quartered
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
1. Using spiralizer, turn zucchini into long strands, trimming with clean kitchen shears. Using small sharp knife, slice off each end of cactus pear and make cut in thick skin from top to bottom. Peel back thick skin and discard. Slice fruit; set aside.
2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Toss zucchini, cactus and lettuce with dressing; top with figs and walnuts.
Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese over top if desired.