Romaine Salad with Cactus Pear, Mixed Berries, Fennel, Apple and Basil Vinaigrette
Surprise everyone at your next picnic or potluck with this dreamy summer salad with a dressing you’ll continue to crave for days! This salad will become your go-to for a filling yet light, refreshing, summer lunch.
Recipe by Candice Walker
Candice Walker is the voice behind Proportional Plate, a food blog where weekly meal planning couldn’t be any simpler. She teaches how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
- 1 Andy Boy romaine heart, chopped
- 5 Andy Boy cactus pears, melon-balled
- 1 Andy Boy fennel, shaved on a mandolin
- 1 granny smith apple, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 pint Driscoll’s blueberries
- 1 pint Driscoll’s raspberries
- ½ lb. Driscoll’s strawberries, quartered
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cups packed basil, stems removed
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Combine the basil, garlic, vinegar and 1/4 tsp pepper in a food processor.
2. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the romaine lettuce, fennel, and apple to a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing. Toss to coat.
5. Add the berries and cactus pears to the salad. Gently toss to coat.
6. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and enjoy!