Slow Cooker Miso Ramen with Broccoli Rabe
This healthy, vibrant, gluten-free ramen recipe includes tender broccoli rabe and zucchini noodles. It’s a gluten-free option that’s lighter than usual ramen, for a cozy lunch or warming dinner that looks as delicious as it tastes. You can make this in your slow cooker (crockpot) or on the stovetop for a versatile meal, any day of the week.
Recipe by Allison Day
Allison is the writer behind Yummy Beet. She is currently writing a cookbook, Modern Lunch to be available in Spring, 2019. She has two cookbooks available now: her first, Whole Bowls, and her second, Purely Pumpkin. The two books are dedicated to bowl-tastic meals and seasonal recipes, respectively. Allison took home the highest honor in Canadian food blog writing at the 2015 Taste Canada Food Writing Awards.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free tamari
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sweet white miso paste
- 2 Tbsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 fresh red thai chili, minced; plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, roughly chopped
- 4 small zucchini, spiral sliced into noodles on a spiral slicer
- 2 to 4 large eggs, soft-boiled
- 2 teaspoons white or black sesame seeds
1. In a large slow cooker (crockpot), whisk broth, tamari, oil, miso, vinegar, maple syrup or honey, ginger, garlic, chili and five-spice until combined. Cook on low for 6 hours. If cooking on the stovetop, bring mentioned ingredients to a boil in a large pot, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Add water 2/3 way up a small saucepan, bring to a boil and gently add eggs. Boil for 6 minutes, drain and run cold water over eggs. Carefully remove shell. Discard shell and set whole cooked eggs aside (gently).
3. While the eggs boil, stir in broccoli rabe into slow cooker or pot and cook, cover and cook until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini noodles and cook until heated through about 2 minutes. Divide zucchini noodles and broccoli rabe between bowls and ladle over broth. Halve eggs and top each bowl with eggs. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with additional chili, if using. Serve hot.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more