Sun-dried Tomato & Broccoli Rabe Quinoa
With heat from chili flakes, sweetness and tart from sun-dried tomatoes and the delicious crunch from broccoli rabe, this full-meal salad is one of my favorite recipes for brunch, Meatless Monday as well as a protein packed dinner.
Adapted from “Clean Green Eats” by Candice Kumai, HarperCollins, 2015.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe chopped into 1 1/2 pieces on the diagnol
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1 tsp crushed red chili flakes, more or less to your desired preference
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tbl reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 2 tsps fresh lemon juice
- Crumble of goat cheese to top
- Two 6-ounce packages savory baked firm organic tofu (firm or extra-firm), cut into 3/4-inch cubes (optional)
1. In a large sauté pan, warm 2 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium-low heat just until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe, increase the heat to medium, and cook for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and tofu (if using) to the pan and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the chili flakes and the cooked quinoa and toss to coat. Cook for another 3 minutes to warm all through.
3. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Crumble goat cheese to finish.
Serve hot alongside some grilled salmon or add more tofu to make it a full meal. Enjoy!