Beet & Fennel Gazpacho with Broccoli Rabe Pesto
A summer borscht-like gazpacho that brings you the comfort of winter to those warm summer nights. This version of the classic Russian soup is made with a broccoli rabe pesto that you will want to make extra of, and some sweet roasted fennel. Top with a dollop of tart Greek yogurt if you’re feeling fancy!
Recipe by Candice Walker
Candice Walker is the voice behind Proportional Plate, a food blog where weekly meal planning couldn’t be any simpler. She teaches how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
- 3 red beets
- 2 Andy Boy fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered, ¼ cup of fronds reserved
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch of Andy Boy broccoli rabe, stems removed
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- optional for garnish: Greek yogurt, cucumber
1. Preheat to 400F.
2. Trim the stems of the beets, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and put in the oven. Bake for ~45 minutes. Allow to cool and peel.
3. With your beets in the oven, add your fennel bulbs and onion to a sheet pan or baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add them to the oven. Cook 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool.
4. In the meantime, you will make your broccoli rabe pesto. Add the broccoli rabe leaves and florets, pine nuts, 2 cloves garlic, and ¼ tsp pepper to a food processor. While running, add the olive oil. Set aside.
5. Add your peeled beets, roasted fennel & onion, fennel fronds, 3-4 garlic cloves, salt, pepper, vegetable stock, cucumbers, dill, apple cider vinegar, and ½ the pesto to a high speed blender. Run for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for minimum 4 hours.
7. Pour into bowls and garnish with the other half of the broccoli rabe pesto. Options for garnish: a dollop of greek yogurt, thinly sliced cucumber, fennel fronds. Enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more