Broccoli Rabe, Fennel and Apple Slaw
Serve as a side at your next picnic, on top of lettuce as a delicious salad, or spruce up your burger toppings with this elevated spin on your everyday coleslaw!
Recipe by Candice Walker
Candice Walker is the voice behind Proportional Plate, a food blog where weekly meal planning couldn’t be any simpler. She teaches how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
- 2 Andy Boy fennel bulbs
- 1 bunch of Andy Boy broccoli rabe, ends trimmed and leaves removed*
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced or grated
- 1/2-1 tsp of microplaned yellow onion or shallot
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
1. Slice the fennel bulbs on a mandolin. Add to a large bowl.
2. Slice the broccoli rabe stems into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Snap off the florets. Add both to the large bowl with the fennel.
3. Julienne your apple. Add to the bowl with the fennel and broccoli rabe.
4. Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl.
5. Pour the dressing over the fennel, broccoli rabe, and apple.
6. Toss to coat and enjoy!
Cook’s Tip: Use your broccoli rabe leaves to make a delicious pesto to top your next pizza or pasta dinner: Add the broccoli rabe leaves, ¼ cup of pine nuts, 2 cloves garlic, and ¼ tsp pepper to a food processor. While running, add ¼ cup of olive oil.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more