Broccoli Rabe Garlic Bread
Here’s a way of getting nutrient-packed broccoli rabe into something everyone loves. Make garlic bread using the greens and garlic butter. Nothing could be easier—or harder to resist. If you keep a supply of broccoli rabe puree on hand, it takes no time at all to assemble. Make it peppery—or not; top the garlic butter with grated cheese—or not; and use a whole wheat loaf instead of white bread for greater nutritional value.
Recipe by Julia della Croce
Julia is one of America’s foremost authorities on Italian cooking. She is a James Beard Award winning author and has written over 15 cookbooks.
- 1 loaf good quality fresh ciabatta or baguette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup broccoli rabe puree
- Freshly milled pepper, or hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- Fine sea salt to taste
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F.
2. In a small saucepan, warm the olive oil and garlic over low heat until the garlic is softened and aromatic, 4 minutes.
3. Beat the butter, broccoli rabe puree, garlic oil and salt until it is well blended.
4. Use a bread knife to slice the loaf in half lengthwise. Spread the broccoli rabe butter liberally on both sides of the cut surfaces. Reassemble the loaf and wrap it in aluminum foil. Bake until hot and aromatic, 10-15 minutes. Cut into 1-inch slices and serve hot or warm.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more