Broccoli Rabe & Turkey Sausage Orecchiette
Orecchiette, or “little ears”, and broccoli rabe is a signature Italian dish. This simple recipe is surprisingly flavorful and is even tastier the next day!
Recipe by The Girl on Bloor
Canadian blogger Taylor Stinson is the founder of The Girl on Bloor. Her blog explores the cosmopolitan side of eating in by creating easy, healthy and tasty recipes for busy people on the go.
- 1 16 oz box orecchiette pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 turkey sausages, casings removed
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pasta water (reserved)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add orecchiette and cook for 8-9 minutes or so until just al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Within last 1 minute of cooking time, add broccoli rabe, then drain.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Remove turkey sausages from their casings and break up in frying pan. Cook for 7-8 minutes until browned and fully cooked.
3. Dry the pot used to cook pasta and add back to stovetop with remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds over medium-high heat. Add pasta, broccoli rabe, turkey sausage and pasta water, stirring well.
4. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, red chili flakes and salt & pepper, stirring well to combine and continue to cook another 2 minutes until everything is heated through.
5. Garnish with extra Parmesan and chili flakes, then serve and enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more