Avocado Caprese Pasta with Grilled Broccoli Rabe
During the summer months I am always looking for quick recipes that are full of yummy summer produce, but also easy to prepare. This caprese pasta is the ultimate summertime pasta. Full of garden fresh heirloom tomatoes, avocado and grilled broccoli rabe, it makes for a great summer dinner and leftovers are delicious for lunch the next day!
Recipe by Tieghan Gerard
Tieghan is the author of Half Baked Harvest, and the winner of the 2014 and 2016 Better Homes & Gardens Reader’s Choice Award for Favorite Food Blog. It was also the recipient of Saveur Magazine’s 2016 Award for Most Inspired Weeknight Dinners as well as the 2016 Bloglovin’ Best Food Blog Award. Her first book, The Half Baked Harvest Cookbook, published by Clarkson Potter, launched September 12, 2017. Tieghan is also a regular contributor at the Huffington Post and Buzzfeed.
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 lb short cut pasta
- 1/2 cup homemade or store bought pesto
- 8 oz buffalo mozzarella or fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1-2 heirloom tomatoes, quartered or sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 4 oz fresh prosciutto
- white balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/3 cup roasted cashews (almonds, pistachios, walnuts or pine nuts work too)
- 1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1. Heat a grill, grill pan or skillet to medium high heat. Toss the broccoli rabe with olive oil, salt + pepper making sure all the broccoli rabe is evenly coated in olive oil.
2. Place the broccoli rabe on the hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until the broccoli rabe is lightly charred. Remove from the heat and place on a plate. Chop into 1” pieces.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
4. Make the pesto: Finely chop the basil and arugula, add it to a medium size bowl.
5. Chop the cashews and finely mince or grate the garlic, add them to the bowl with the basil and arugula. Add the parmesan and a pinch of salt + pepper. Pour in the olive oil.
6. Using a fork mix well and then sort of mash all the ingredients together with the fork. If desired add more olive oil until your desired consistency is reached.
7. Boil the pasta until al dente. Drain.
8. Add the hot pasta to a large serving bowl and toss with the pesto, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, basil and grilled broccoli rabe until well combined.
9. Add the larger heirloom tomatoes and gently toss once more.
10. Arrange the avocado and prosciutto on top. Sprinkle the pasta with salt + pepper to taste.
11. Divide the pasta among bowls or plates, serve with balsamic and olive oil. EAT!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more