Broccoli Rabe Layered Root Tart
This layered root vegetable tart is the most delicious, indulgent fall dinner that’s packed with veggies and bursting with flavor. Savory, earthy root vegetables like beets and sweet potatoes make for a natural pairing with broccoli rabe, and fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme bring out the best in this savory tart.
Recipe by The Girl on Bloor
Canadian blogger Taylor Stinson is the founder of The Girl on Bloor. Her blog explores the cosmopolitan side of eating in by creating easy, healthy and tasty recipes for busy people on the go.
- 1 store-bought tart shell
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium-sized beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ bunch broccoli rabe, florets preferably
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add sliced sweet potatoes and beets to sheet and drizzle in olive oil and toss with fresh herbs. Bake for 10 minutes until veggies are softened. Remove and let cool.
2. Lower heat to 375 F and bake tart shell for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and layer in veggies, including baked root vegetables and raw broccoli rabe, raw red pepper and raw red onion.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Gently pour overtop of veggies in tart shell, then bake in the oven for 40 minutes, removing halfway through to add goat cheese to the top.
4. Let tart sit for 5 minutes before cutting with a large knife. Serve and enjoy!
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more